- "Richard Chappell has written more consistently interesting posts than virtually any blogger I can think of. He's independent, creative, witty--and he shows absolutely none of the sophistry that so often infects undergraduate philosophy students. The man is brilliant, period." - Jason Kuznicki of Positive Liberty
- "Richard is quite remarkable; an undergraduate student at the University of Canterbury, he has a lucidity and sophistication that make it very likely that he's up and coming: very likely to accomplish something significant if he keeps going." - Brandon of Siris
- "one of the brightest young minds in the philosophy blogosphere" - Peter Thurley
- "New Zealand's most intelligent blogger, Richard Chappell of Philosophy, et cetera." - Nigel Kearney of Kiwi Pundit
- "I always enjoy Richard's posts on Philosphy, et cetera even though most of them are shall we say fairly abstract and can make your head hurt." - David Farrar
- "a fascinating and extremely well
written site" - Matt Murrell
- "my hat is off to you Richard Chappell, keep up the good work" - Marko Saariselkä
Other Blogospheric Stuff:
- Tim-berrr - A post of mine gets a lot of attention.
- Resentment - Said post upsets an immature professor.
- Blogging Gems - some great comebacks that bloggers have come up with, from ponies to pygmies.
Academia and Meta-Philosophy:
- Progress in Philosophy - is there any?
- Academic Blogging - and why it's so great.
- 2004@Canterbury.ac.nz - Reviews the courses I took at uni this year.
- Publishing Philosophy - Some helpful links with info about philosophy journals.
- Teaching Kids Philosophy - What's the best way to do it?
- The Anti-Analytic Reader - A very odd email.
- Philosophical Humour
- Socrates for Businessmen - What is philosophy good for?
About this blog:
- My Web of Beliefs - Outlines the various philosophical positions I held at the end of 2004.
- Blog Problems? - comment here if you have any technical difficulties.
- My first post ever - briefly introduces me & this site.
- Reflections - about this blog and its neighbours.
- Categories - an explanation of those "categories" (like this post!) which appear in my sidebar
- Blog Changes - explains the new 'email this post' feature, and some important info about comments. See also Expandable Posts.
- Comment Hacks; but see also Comment Changes.
- Links & Site Design - Explains changes to the blogroll. See also New Template.
- New Feature: Sideblog, see also sideblog syndication.
- Greatest (Google) Hits - highlights some of the bizarre search-engine queries which bring people to this site.
- Best of 2004 - an imaginary awards ceremony, highlighting some of the best and worse blog-related things of 2004.
- GoogleAds (see here for an ad-blocker)
- Mixing Memory (and an introduction to my 'blog reviews' series.)
- Positive Liberty
- enwe's meta-blog
- Conservative Philosopher
- Melbourne Philosopher
- Tangled Bank - a showcase of science-related posts, and my introduction to blogospheric 'carnivals'.
- Kiwi Carnival - showcasing the New Zealand blogosphere. See also Kiwi Carnival #1.
- Philosophers' Carnival? - an idea is born.
- Carnival Update - Some important info about the Philosophers' Carnival.
- Purpose of the Carnival - an explanation.
- Philosophers' Carnival #1 - A showcase of the best recent philosophy blog posts. (Note: see the carnival homepage for other hosts.)
- Philosophers' Carnival Update - Explains what blogospheric support is needed: publicity, participation, and hosting.
- Philosophers' Carnival Hosting - Some quick info about what's involved (see also here).
- Carnival Newsletter - A new feature, offers email updates of future carnivals.
- Carnival Idea: Public Nominations - Discussion of a possible carnival reform.
- Del.icio.us Nominations - Implementing the new nominations process.
For other bloggers (tests, surveys, memes):
- Collaborative Storyblogging - a wacky but fun idea.
- Personality Tests - Details of a very good one. Take it yourself and post the results on your blog - see The Meme Worth Spreading. (Less seriously, see also the personality defect test.)
- Political Compass & Survey - As with the personality test, but about your political leanings.
- Blogging Survey - Help some grad students who are studying the blogosphere.
- Testing Meme Propagation In Blogspace: Add Your Blog! - Help spread the meme.
- GoMemes as Extended Hat-tips - Comparing Spivak's new 'GoMeme' idea to an already existing practice.
- Socratic Shadow - Create your own superhero.
- Implicit Biases - Discover your subconscious prejudices.
- Gangsta Philosizzle - Hilarious 'gangsta' translator. See also Universal Translator.
- Top 5 Philosophers - list your favourites.
- Greatest Games - list your favourites.
- Book Meme
- Respectful Disagreement Meme - name 3 people you disagree with a lot, and say something nice about them.
- Philosophy Quiz - What's your "philosophy"?